Friday, September 21, 2012

A Day in the Life: Murdering Caterpillars, Fart Noises and Run DMC

So sometimes I'm not really sure what to do with this short chubby cute little guy that I have to care for on a daily basis.

My kiddo. He is precious, but I think he gets kind of creeped out when I lovingly stare at him for hours. Sometimes I think when he's 16, I'll sneak into his room and lovingly stare at him while he's sleeping just to freak him out. Then I'll scream his ear and wake him up for payback. Cause I'm the mama and I can.

And he's kinda over just lying there staring at the bird mobile on his bouncy chair. Oh those were the days! I tried to put him in it again last week and he threatened to call CPS on my ass.

I mean, we do the usual. Ya know, cover the basics...feed him, change him, bathe him, keep him from offing himself for the eleventh time in an hour.

Then we do some playtime. Or I try to convince him to play with the hundreds of dollars in toys in his toy bucket and he plays with the Tupperware top and the Venetian blinds instead.

Then we sing. Or I sing and he bangs his Tupperware top on the dog's head and tries to chew on the computer power cord. Again.

Then we go outside for a stroll around the park. Or I stroll and he screams from his stroller to be let out. Then eats 2 leaves, gets a rash from the grass, kills a caterpillar and tries to eat it, crawls into dog poo, climbs on the slide and gets knocked over by a toddler, cries, steals someone's sippy cup, practices velociraptor screams, get tired and cries again.

Then we do some learning. Or I teach him his ABCs, how to count his toes, have a Hebrew lesson, read him a book and he makes fart noises with his mouth. And tries to eat the book.

After The Kid's half-hearted attempt at a game of peek-a-boo this morning, I decided we needed a change. Now I don't have much experience in kid friendly activities to draw from, but do have a whole heck of a lot of down time shenanigans from college.

Dance party it is.

A whole lotta Beatles, a little 90s pop, a touch of Run DMC, Lynard Skynard and some Queen. Singing It's Tricky to my 9 month old: not my finest parenting moment. But it was fun. And my child's giggles filling the living room was music to my ears.



4 comments:

  1. Oh you just sent me on a flash back Run DMC. With my first I always just stared and stared and my son. Sounds like you are having a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We really do have fun. This little guy is the greatest. I'm so lucky to be his mama

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it. But just so you know? At 16, you still want them to sleep, at least until noon - teens are just a different type of annoying. You'll want to wait to scream in their ear until they're at least 21. Trust. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have been nominated for The Versatile Blogger Award! Run on over to my blog to pick it up! Great Blogging my sista!
    Erica
    www.lifestooshorttoplaypossum.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete